Saturday 5 February 2011

Stopping the slowdown!

For the last few weeks I've noticed that after I've had FireFox open for a couple of hours or been through a few different sites it really slowed down a lot and became very unresponsive. I'd tried loads of things to figure out what was going wrong but ended up putting the difficulties down to the line speed (well, it is BT!lol)

Today something strange happened, I had a message flash up telling me that jqsnotify.exe had crashed, well, I really wasn't sure what that was so I went off to investigate and found that it relates to Java Quick Start. I then noticed that FireFox had sped up after the crash and so I did a little more digging and found people complaining about it slowing their machines down. The next thing I did was to find out how to turn it off (Control Panel --- Java ---- Advanced Tab --- Miscellaneous --- turn the tick off) and have been amazed at how much faster FireFox has been running for me! I'm not sure how/when this got on the PC,. probably a few weeks ago when I did a round of upgrading all the software we use but I'm so pleased I've found it and turned it off. We don't use java that often here so the benefits of turning this off are huge to us :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment