Monday 11 April 2011

Ultraviolet by R J Anderson

I was sent this book recently by the lovely people at Books with Bite on Facebook and it's finally hit the top of my "to read" pile.

When the opportunity arose for me to gain a copy of this book I jumped at the chance after reading the description online:
Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.
This is not her story.
Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori - the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?
It sounds irresistible doesn't it? Well it did to me anyway, I love a good mystery and for the most part this is a great one.

It's well written and the characters are believable. You can understand Alison's motivations and empathise with her for most of what she's going through and the secondary characters personalities and motivations come through really well too which makes the book all the more engrossing

The twist in the book I almost saw coming but dreaded the idea and so didn't give in to the thoughts but when I was proven correct in my assumption I felt let down. I actually put the book down for over a day before going back to it and trying to resume. I'm not going to say what the twist is nor say which genre I feel this book really belongs in, that would give far too much away but I urge you to return to it again if like me it puts you off. The writing is excellent still and it really does turn into such a wonderful tale even if it's not a genre you read much of.

Ultraviolet is released on June 2nd 2011 and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys mystery, paranormal, romance type books so go find it in the Children's/Young Adult section :-)

1 comment:

  1. It sounded good until I saw the girls name!! eeek!!

    ReplyDelete